Monday, June 21, 2010

The Reasons - Crystal Light Pure Fitness Post #3

This is sponsored content from BlogHer and Crystal Light Pure Fitness.

***
Sometimes, my husband wants to go for a run with me.

A formerly overweight man, my husband still thinks of me as being as in shape as they come.

Little does he know, he's surpassed me.

Standing close to 6 feet 2 inches, he's a sailor in the U.S. Navy. A sailor who's required to do "P.T." for a living. He's slimmed down, fit, and muscly. He's also kind of hot, if I do say so myself.

The man has to exercise for his job, just as much as I do as a fitness instructor and trainer.

Gone are the days of me foisting salads and P90X videos at him. He's in shape now.

And he can kick my booty.
But still, if he offers, I run with him. I run as far as my short little legs can carry me. Even if I have to take three steps to his one, I'll run.

Because I can.

Because I train for this, in a manner of speaking.

I exercise, eat right, and I try to stay as fit as possible, all so I can do the things I want to do. All so I can do the things others want me to do, too.

So I can move comfortably, wear the clothes I like, and strip down to a bathing suit at the beach with the girls. So that if the opportunity arises - to mountain climb, to swim a leg of a triathlon, to have a baby - I can take on the challenge. So that if my husband asks me to, I can go on a run with him and maybe, just maybe, try and keep up.

I'd hate to have to look in his eyes and know that my physical condition kept us apart.

Because, let's face it, there are other "things" we women enjoy doing with our husbands.

And the thought of my self-consciousness getting in the way of that - of concerns about my belly and my thighs impeding on that intimacy - worries me.

I don't want to turn down quality time with the man I love because my fitness level renders me unable to compete, to hang, or even to participate.

I don't want to miss out on life's moments because of me.

Because I'm afraid to try something.

Because I'm worried my body couldn't at least attempt to do that something.

Because the physical aspects scare the heck out of me.

So I stay fit. I stay in shape so that I can birth babies and hike mountains and run around with my husband in the buff. Or fully clothed.
I never want my fitness level to get in the way of me living my life to fullest.

I exercise, working out with cardio machines, outdoor runs, spinning classes, yoga, and the occasional dance class. I walk the dog and bike to the store and get up early to sneak in some quiet time with me and my foam roller. I eat right and monitor my food intake and stay hydrated, using natural beverages like Crystal Light Pure Fitness.

I work out so that if a friend calls, and asks me to run a 5K with her on the fly, I can.

I exercise so that if my job calls and asks me to attend a three-day fitness conference, I will.

And I maintain a healthy lifestyle so that if my husband calls and asks me to go on a run, I'm in.

I stay fit for me. For others. And for all the moments we share. So that no matter when they happen, I'm ready.



***
You're up next!

Tell me; why do you stay fit?

Every answer entered below will put your name in the ring for the drawing of a $100 Visa gift card, courtesy of BlogHer and Crystal Light Pure Fitness, taking place at the end of this month.

To find out the official rules of the Crystal Light Pure Fitness Reviews Program, head here. And while you're at it, take a peek at the other bloggers reviewing Crystal Light Pure Fitness at BlogHer.com CLPF exclusive offers page, and enter to win four other additional $100 gift cards, as well as a $1,000 sweepstakes.

Thanks so much for playing along! I can't wait to read you answers!

20 comments:

blueviolet said...

The reason I stay fit is twofold: one, heart disease runs in my family, and I'm doing my best to combat it, and two: it makes me feel so much better about myself.

destination262 said...

I stay fit so I can feel good about myself. I really connected with your post above for all the same reasons. I am still in the process of being comfortable in my own skin, but the reasons I want to be fit can pretty much be explained as you did.

Gina said...

I stay fit because once you get fit, it becomes a (very healthy) addiction. Seeing your body look and feel good makes you want to stay that way. Plus, I want to be a good role model and a mommy who can keep up with my two wild boys.

Nance said...

I am 59 yr and staying fit and eating healthy so I can live to be 90+. I have grandchildren and I don't want to miss watching them all grow to adulthood. I am determined!

My computer crashed the other night and I just came across your site, while trying to put things back together, in mine. So at least one good thing as come from my bad experience. (isn't that usually the case?)

Kassie said...

I stay fit so that I can feel good about myself, and also for the health of it! I have a grandmother who didn't do that, and I want to be healthy as long as possible!

Traci said...

I just started running again after a little, ahem, hiatus. Anyway - I'm running again and doing some weight training to reshape some things.

Anonymous said...

I live by lists, so I stay motivated by getting one thing after another crossed off my list...i enjoy crossing things off!

mjf926@gmail.com

Blue Girl said...

Fear of dying early motivates me to get and stay in shape - cancer and high bp/cholesterol/sodium run in my family

bluegirl1423 at gmail dot com

JOY said...

The office where I work is .5 miles from the lobby to my cube, so I walk at least 1 mile each day, and 2 flights of steps, and that is my regular workout (and in heels I might add)

email: mjharvey26@yahoo.com
name:Joy

Susan said...

I am motivated because I don't want to be another obese person who didn't lose weight that ends up in an electric scooter to get around.

rsmstahley @ adelphia dot net

Nance said...

or, like a former neighbor, out trying to garden while using a portable oxygen tank!

Lisa said...

I stay fit because I love it. I work for a company that caters to the outdoors and activity, and I love the feeling of getting to the top of a climb (rock climbing) or whizzing down the mountain on my snowboard, or crossing the finish line at a half marathon, or just flying downhill on my road or mountain bike.

I love the adrenaline rush, I love the sunshine, I love moving.

And it helps that my boyfriend has a very sexy body thanks to the Army and I want him to be able to appreciate the same fitness on mine. :)

Mikki M said...

Fitness is a way of life for my ADD brain. Without it I run around foggy all day and that makes for a bad mommy. Working out keeps me on track, healthy, a great role model for my kids and keeps my husband and I doing something fun together.

Kristin said...

I stay fit so I can run after my Tasmanian Devil of a toddler. To be honest, I slacked off a bit for a while and boy did I feel it when it came to my energy level. When I started eating healthier and being active again...the endless dance parties to The Wiggles weren't quite as exhausting!

Nita said...

to feel better and to feel better about myself.

Brittney said...

The number one reason why I stay fit is because I have struggled with weight a lot in the past. My dad has diabetes and I'm scared to develop it as an adult as well. Another reason is because I want to be healthy for when my husband and I start trying to have a babies.

Mami2jcn said...

I try to stay fit because I feel terrible if I don't. And I want to be around to watch my children grow up.

mami2jcn at gmail dot com

miriama said...

I have to say your post intimidated me and made me want to cry. I know you didn't want that. But I am NOT fit. I am trying. Especially since I looked at my teenage daughter and noticed how overweight she is. Sigh...she is my motivation now. I have to show her we can do it. Together.

pestkaj said...

so I can take care of my family

Just call me b said...

I stay fit so I will feel better about myself, and that, makes for a happy mommy!